Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Technology and Social Interaction

I think that the spread of technology has had both positive and negative impacts on people’s everyday face-to-face interactions. Growing up when I wanted to chat or hangout with friends I would, first, have to use the house phone to call (remembering friends’ numbers by heart or looking them up in an actual phone book) and then set up a time and place to meet in person. I think that the fact that I didn’t have a cell phone and could text or a computer where I could just video chat someone was a good thing and helped me learn to be a more sociable, communicative person. Also I believe our lack of technology available to us forced my brothers, sister, and I to be more active outside and get to know and play with the kids in our neighborhood. I think a lot of kids these days are missing out on these bonds while they are too distracted by video games, online games, and Facebook chat. Not only kids but also everyone today seems too preoccupied with cell phones and computers to make a concerted effort to see people in person more often. I do admit how convenient technology has made things and how it can save time and money, however, I think people are underestimating the importance of face-to-face experiences.
            I think that using the Internet to meet people (via online dating, Craigslist, gaming, etc.) is very dangerous and people should be very careful if they decide to participate. People should consider what is called “selective self-presentation.” Martin Tanis in his article, “What Makes the Internet a Place to Seek Social Support,” wrote something regarding this that I think is something important to have in mind when talking to people online, whether you know them or not. He writes, “According to the Social Information Processing perspective, people will adapt their linguistic and textual behaviors when using CMC [computer-mediated communication]. They do this in an attempt to overcome the nonverbal limitations of CMC…This factor, however, also allows people to present themselves in a more friendly, knowledgeable, empathetic way, because it gives them the opportunity to carefully shape their appearance, and enables selective self-presentation – often called hyperpersonal interaction. Selective self-presentation is believed to be very common in online communities, dating sites, online game, etc.” This is why I think talking to and meeting others online can be unsafe because those people have the opportunity to make themselves seem however they want! How can you trust that the seemingly nice and respectful person your chatting to about meeting for a date is actually those things? Therefore, I think that this way of meeting people will rarely result in meaningful relationships. And more “real” spaces/public spheres, I believe, might be a more productive use of our time than the virtual world in terms of connecting with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment